Sunday, August 18, 2013

THE JUDGEMENT OF THE SUPREME COURT?

The fear of contempt is still very much potent in present day Ghana and  it will be foolhardy of me to wholly ignore that animal lurking in every home now, ready to bite you at the least slip. Thus I will not venture in the area of contempt. But, what I seek to do here is to discuss the various conclusions that sections of the Ghanaian public have come to as regards the election petition case. Bear in mind that though I may seem coloured politically, I am human first of all and it is that humanity that I employ here, not necessarily my political biases.

There is no doubt that opinions are divided in this matter. Some want a retention of the status quo, and others want a direct overturn of the status quo. Most Ghanaians, in their usual peaceful nature are asking for a rerun of the elections. To say all these are opinions is not necessarily true because some of them are nothing but wishes as well. But what are the facts that the case was built on, and what has been proved?

I was one of the privileged few who understood the case from its very inception as a result of some very senior persons' patience to explain maters to me. Through this case, I have followed every development carefully, in the process, amassing my own set of documents relating to several of the the issues in the elections. Take a look at just the contents of one box out of the seven boxes I keep.

Those are just the hard copies. The many soft copy documents I have are also there and I have poured over all of these copiously.


Thus whatever opinion I hold is not one that I picked up from discussions on radio, or from secondary sources. As a person who to an extent worked for the process as well, I dare say that my opinion is very well grounded on facts.

The petitioners alleged that the 2012 general elections was fraught with irregularities, violations and gross misconduct, leading to the declaration of the wrong person as the winner of the polls. These claims were based on pre-election happenings, Election Day happenings and post election happenings. Lets shortly recap these.

BACKGROUND.
The voters register: the voters register contained, strangely, som one million people that were registered without polling stations. The electoral officials had announced a figure of less than thirteen million after registration but informed parliament that they had registered some one million people without polling stations. They promised to clean up the register, only to come back and announce a figure of 14,031,680. How this figure came about was an issue.

Again, the biometric register contained duplications and that was a very severe absurdity. If all persons were indeed registered biometrically, this aberration should not have occurred.

The role of STL: as a nation, we will all remember that when the STL issue first came up, the company admitted to being contracted by the EC and then they latter changed that story. The role of STL however declined in this trial due to the wish of the petitioners not to create panic by revealing the whole truth.

More coming soon.

No comments: